Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2014

A rolling stone gathers no moss

I have no idea how the header really relates to my next entry besides the fact that i just keep on moving, which now that i am in Bolivia is also what my bowels want to do (TMI? Well then move along then hehe)

SALTA:
 I arrived nice n early after 20 hour bus, dropped pack at hostel and proceeded to kill time till i could actually check in by eating empanadas and drinking Gin and Tonic at 1130am; this sufficiently went to my head and made up for the fact the man would not make me a Pisco sour :( . Once I checked in properly, had a shower and did mandatory interweb check i ventured out into what felt like an oven in which I was a real world ginger cookie. There were so many people which I thought was intense for a week day, so after looking at a few things (apparently what tourists are meant to do) i bailed out to the confines  of the hostel where i found out Salta has there own kind of empanadas... Guess what i had for dinner!! 
I woke early so that i wouldn't have to risk a rerun of ginger bread cookie as i walked up Mount San Bernardo. I then again killed time walking around the distrbingly quiet streets of Salta (realising it was sunday and infact yesterday was Saturday..explained a lot.. Dohh). Booked a 0030 bus to the bolivian boarder just to keep the ball rolling. Much to my delight and many others in the hostel I found cider (sidre) in the supermarket and proceeded to drink a good 1.2 litres till my bus... 

BOLIVIA:
Arrived at boarder about 630 with a rad bunch a back packers whom i befriended and ended up bumping into on the isolated island in the Salt flats days later. From there hopped a bus from Vilazon** to Uyuni. NOTE: if your bus looks epic and built for rugged roads 'hey this is rad' is NOT what you will think after 9 hours of gravely bolivian roads... The bus did look cool though.

UYUNI:
Dusty and high... Also altitude is harsh on soft skinned/headed/bellied sea level dwellers like myself. Anyway from this fine location of a town (in the middle to nowhere) i found 4 others willing for a 3 day 4x4 tour through the Salar and salt flats. Pretty sure 90% tourest going from/to bolivia via chile/argentina do this. This trip incolved long days of 4x4ing across country, visiting many sights that the area has to offer. The place is stunning and the kids i got to do with this made the trip (words suck so i post images). louisa and Mie are from Denmark, Alex and  Andrea were from Sweden... Good times especially when you're feeling extremely crap (though admittedly  happy ) when your brain is trying escape through your eyes, whatevery you ate 20mins ago is already knocking at your door and inability to sleep. So yea i managed to remain approachable and laughed a few times hehe

POTOSI:
As soon as we arrived back in Uyuni i hopped a bus with the Danish lasses to Potosi where we arrived at 1130pm and i enjoyed the BEST sleep in 5 days. Now i find myself sitting in the hostel writting words that you may read (if you made it this far i suppose you read most of it).. I also just sent my clothes to laundry for first time (shower always sufficed till now but they have water issues in Bolivia so its a nono). Plus it's cool here, as in temperature, i was excited about the development of my tan (i am ACTUALLY becoming less white)


Travel has been good and my confidence is slowly growing as i go along. Once I reach Sucre i would love do some spanish lessons it is not very good at the mo and would improve  communication and interaction with people. I have met some great people a long the way and the direction i head is based mainly on them.. they are like the bumpers directing me in the general direction i want to head via good places to visit.


NOTE: written on spanish computer with horrid keyboard so spelling and grammar probably suck.. But for now i do not give a flying fudge


Louisa and Mie are very into the upcoming festive season and somehow
managed to find ingredients and make cookies in the hostel. An amazing feat

BIKE


Random little town we stopped in on the tour.. in the corner there is a pïle of
old bikes. You wil drive for ages, pass come local on a bike and the
 next village/place will be miles away.. no idea where they go


Some rocks.. pretty rocks albiet


home for 3 days..kinda 


View for 3 days.. kinda


LOVE me a bit of OOF ROADING!!!
Wilson the driver had a bit of ooof ooof music at some points haha


Apparent this was a green lake... i as cold



Dali hill/desert/something
The rocks did look just like his work, was neat


Altitide sickness can suck my.........
Louisa (my apparent supplier) made me a care package of Coco leave and
pain killers.


Red lake and flamingos..mthey have 3 types


Tree Rock
Jenna rocks


THAT WAY!!!!!



OR that way???!!!!



Lunch stop in some Canyon..
Scaled some rock... out of breath for a few minutes 5000ish meters high


Louisa Queen of the rocks 


Chillen with the Danes in some random place in some place 
They had a toilet, we were stoked. I also had a lollie pop, it was yum.


Pink Toilet paper AND power.... heaven
In salt hotel. I later discovered i wasnt the only one that wanted to lick the walls just to confirm 



Swedish and the Danish drinking beer... 



Salar sunrise 



In edge parts of the salt flats there is excess water and mud under the
Salt, so we walk whilst the drivers gun it and pray to the Salar gods they don't get stuck



They make Salt blocks and make buildings... Fact



There are many little islands on the Salar surrounded by ... You guessed it SALT!
On these little islands they have little Cactus forests that are cute (to me anyway)



On this particular day alitude sickness was winning and jenna just wasn't enjoying life all
too much as my brain wanted to escape through my eye sockets and also hadn't eaten for 1.5 days
As my guts were undergoing a battle of their own. #backpackerlyfe


Standard Salar images. 

She got some of me... So i got some car time nap images of here haha karma

Lil peg legs hanging out in the train grave yard just out of Uyuni


Whatever blew out this = jebus!!!



Do not pass go...



Spring clean once i got to Potosi 


Laundery... You know it's a must when your 'smalls' supplies look like this


Also i would assume if you have ever travelled places where toilet paper isn't gauranteed 
Then after spring cleaning its no surprise to come across 'supplies' from many random pockets