Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

0.3333%


Before we knew it Team Jaunty were sitting upon a mushroom in deep discussion... Errr I can't actually remember about what exactly, the celebratory wine we were sculling with the local mayor has blurred this for me (she can drink like a fish!!)
Team Jauty consists of captain Larkin, Skipper Revell and mermaid makgill (yea im a MoFo'n mermaid). Not sure where the the pirate theme comes from, probably the sailor jerrys rum I just bought in sydney duty free.

ANYWAY I digress.. China just held its first UCI CycloCross race and I along with many others from varying nations had the pleasure to be flown over by Qiansen sports to compete and get china on the CX/biking map. Qiansen is a company interested in/are developing riding facilities in all disciplines around china.

The trip was bloody marvellous! Not only the racing but also how the whole trip just became a hub of networking as all athletes & support were subjected to living, eating and riding together for 5 days. I will always respect my fellow athletes, but none more than those athletes that leave the competition to the actual race. In the days leading up I hung out, walked the wall, rode the local streets and exchanging banter with many fellow racers whom I had little doubt would rip my legs off come race day. In theory I like a good race (once it's over) but nothing beats some good quality camaraderie.

Now to the .33%. This is the %of the trip doing what we were actually flown over to do...race (not much ehhh). Besides feeling completely out of my depth I managed to get myself into 5th position from 19th within the first 500m and then tussle it out for 4th. The day was hot and the competition was determined. as far as the course goes it was pretty hard and rough with technical elements which I feel benefitted my strengths. I am reasonably happy with my result and now but sit down to assess 'where to form here'...

All in all I owe a huge thanks to Captain Larkin for the opportunity and support; Skipper Revell for being such a chilled mofo and ALL the Aussies whom I have established new bonds with.

Like a said, t'was farkin ripper!


More info at
http://www.cxmagazine.com/women-countries-represent-chinas-uci-cyclocross-race-denmark-takes-win



Like i said... Mushrooms


Commuting back from course with Jenny 'badger' Macpherson and the Captain


This is my definition of hell; Paul having to travel in the wake of what was an epic tummy bug.
Does mean we didn't have to partake in idle chitchat for the whole 20 hours we were in transit ;)


My impersonation of the worlds largest dragon escalator... Out sight seeing some gorges


Team Jaunty upon none other than The Great Wall
( Paul, me, Alex)


Bottoms up!!! Post race. It seems the done thing is to cheers people and then scull remainder of vessel... There was a lot of wine consumed that night. The local Mayor can knock em back too... And she's half my size.

Play time with the lads.


Yanqing, apparently bike capital of china. Neat lil statue in middle of town.
I live my TCX!!


Captain Paul doing what he does best... Setting up shop in the middle of the hotel.



Coffee.. Mmhmm
Cafe Rarkin, where the maximum of happiness is but a few minutes of laboured grinding away (Waddell would be proud)


I spent a lot of time with the Ausies... Turns out some of them are pretty darn good people.
The young lady exposing her Lingua so happens to be Lisa Jacobs of the Australian persuasion but sadly had a bit of booboo during the race. Heal up ya silly billy..



Innnterrrestinggggg



Alex Revell, well accustomed to the pain cave.. Giving it a good go with the big boys.
He has a blog too



When not terrorising the streets of Yanqing the australasians took up camp wherever they darn well felt like it.. The Captain overseas this high end banter whilst fine tuning my sweet ride.



Van der ploeg, reigning short track world champion having his custom skinsuit tailored prior to race.
She was pretty warm out there.





This days treasure hunt involved spending 2 hours trying to find the course.
We failed; however we did initiate a few locals into out posse (by the seems)




Hall way, lounge, packing station, workshop...

Popped up to The Great Wall for some epic sight seeing and some even more epic calf pulling.
This place is stunning; though it would be cool to see some of the less restored sections on the wall too.



Larkin , Macpherson and myself throwing down some signage on the wall




Larkin prepping for the wholeshot.. gotta be quick around these parts